Sunday, November 22, 2009

No Flu Shot for Children Allergic to Egg, Now What?

Due to Alexis and Ryan's allergy to egg, they are not able to get flu shots, mists, etc. because the vaccine is cured in egg. Initially, I'll admit, I was very concerned since there are so many cases of H1N1 across the country, how can I keep them from being exposed. Alexis especially is at high risk with her compromised immune system and chronic asthma. At first I did contemplate keeping her home from school, but for how long. Months?

Now I believe my food allergic children must live within the world as it exists. There is no possible human way to eliminate all of their allergens from any given situation because there are so many; dairy, egg, tree nut, peanut, coconut, shellfish, mustard and cherries. As tough as it seems, they must learn to identify each of the allergens so they can not only keep themselves safe and to gain independence. As the flu virus spread, the realization came over me that there is no way to keep them from being exposed to this as well.

How do we keep them safe? Well, one thing that we have done is find "safe" vitamins that help boost their immune system. We found a great product at http://www.naturesplus.com/, that not only is gluten free, but hypo-allergenic and vegetarian. Not to mention free from yeast, wheat, soy and milk. Please check ingredients and with your doctor before using, but so far my kids are extremely healthy and I know they have been exposed to the flu.

In addition, my allergist also recommended we take vitamin D3. Again, please check with your doctor or log onto http://www.webmd.com/ before using, but I have felt flu symptoms coming on and once I took D3 it was gone. However, I do not give this particular vitamin to the kids as it does contain lactose.

No comments: