Monday, September 20, 2010

Beware of bakeries making False Allergy claims!

You won't believe this...My family and I attended a festival this past weekend where a new local cupcake company was selling their goodies. I approached the booth admiring their adorable cakes and creations (always looking for new ideas). The owner jestured to the children and said their cupcakes were for sale. My response was a very polite "no thanks they have food allergies, but they look delicious". The owners response was "I can bake allergy free!" To which I replied, "Please be very careful, you can make someone very sick because you are not baking in a dedicated facility" and I gave her my business card.

Her response...."Well, I have degree in food science and I have insurance."

WHAT!!!!! Insurance! Food allergic community be very aware...only trust your safe allergy treats to come from dedicated facilities such as the Sweet Alexis Bakery, Divvies, Enjoy Life or Vermont Nut Free! These trusted companies in addition to those found on http://www.peanutfreeplanet.com/, http://www.foodallergy.org/, or http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.com/, are liscenced manufacturers of allergy safe treats and are produced in dedicated facilities. We not only understand food allergies but what is required by law and the importance in safety.

Unfortunately, do to the rise in popularity of gluten free items many local bakeries are baking without gluten and selling them as gluten "free" when infact they are made in facilities with wheat amount other allergens. Just because one can bake omitting an ingredient does not mean they are safe for the food allergic community due to cross contamination.

We need to get 60 Minutes to do a expose on this...before someone dies by eating a cupcake filled with allergens made by a company looking to make money. Afterall, they have insurance.

No comments: